CAUTION - DO NOT CONSUME ELDERFLOWERS RAW
Foraged with appreciation and respect for nature to support our wild-food connection by Miles Irving and team at Forager Ltd.
Elderflowers are mildly toxic when raw
It's officially elderflower season, where everyone who appreciates the amazing flavour of elderflowers, gathers up the long awaited harvest for their elder flower cordials, wines and vinegars!
Meanwhile the soft and beautifully scented pineapple weed pops up everywhere unrecognised and undervalued! This is such a shame.
Pineapple weed - as the name suggest has an absolutely amazing pineapple scent and tropical fruity flavour. Just rub the flower heads and have a sniff for yourself.
I have combined my wild floral favourites in this biome box special, to allow you to enjoy something you are highly unlikely to have tried before!
- Elderflower and Pineapple Weed syrup, (most delicious option):
This amazing syrup can be drizzled sparingly (1-2 teaspoons) over yoghurt, cereals, fruit salads or simply added to some fizzy water with ice, to make an incredibly refreshing cold drink.
Ingredients: 2 cups of water, 1 cup of sugar, or half a cup of syrup, 1x biome box serving of elderflowers and pineapple weed flowers.
- Add the water, elderflowers and pineapple weed to a small saucepan,
- Add a cup of sugar, stirring well to dissolve the sugar and
- Bring to the boil gently on a medium heat
- Immediately turn down to the lowest heat setting and simmer for 10minutes. (If you want a thicker syrup, then reduce the liquid down until it reaches your preferred consistency).
- Allow to cool
- Remove stems (leave the loose flowers - they look pretty in the syrup)
- Decant into a glass jar/bottle and pop in the fridge
- Use within a week
- Elderflower and Pineapple weed tea (simplest, quickest option)
This unusual tropical tasting tea, will leave you ready for the wonderful summer days ahead. The bag supplied in June Biome Box will make ~10 cups of tea, so
Simply add a few springs of elderflower and pineapple weed (do not use the whole bag) to a saucepan, bring to the boil and turn off the heat. Allow the herbs to steep for 10minutes, pour through a tea strainer (or just pick out the leaves/stems and serve).
Find out more about Elderflowers with our guest collaborator Gee Derrick here:
More info and interesting alternative recipes for Pineapple weed: